[Kolab-devel] permissions for sieve to store user flags

Timotheus Pokorra timotheus at pokorra.de
Wed Aug 28 15:01:39 CEST 2013

Hello,
I wonder if somebody has an idea about this:
How can I give the sieve process w acl permissions to write user defined
flags?

Here the full story:
I am trying to add a plugin to roundcube that stores labels or flags with
the emails.

I modified the message_label plugin to store IMAP4flags similar to
Thunderbird.
https://github.com/tpokorra/message_label/tree/message_label_tbits

Then I modified the managesieve plugin to support user defined labels.
But I noticed that the user defined label is not applied.
First I thought the reason is that cyrus sieve does not support imap4flags
yet:
https://lists.kolab.org/pipermail/devel/2011-September/012965.html

But it does store the user defined flags fine through roundcube:
https://github.com/roundcube/roundcubemail/blob/master/program/lib/Roundcube/rcube_imap_generic.php#L1950

Then I found out that the problem is a permissions problem.
http://git.cyrusimap.org/cyrus-imapd/tree/imap/append.c#n811
The user that is setting the user flag needs to have write permissions.
That fits the description at
http://cyrusimap.web.cmu.edu/docs/cyrus-imapd/2.4.8/overview.php#aclrt
for w: The user may modify flags and keywords other than "Seen" and
"Deleted" (which are controlled by other sets of rights).

The question is:
which user is used by sieve to set the flags?
I could then use http://www.php.net/manual/en/function.imap-setacl.php to
set the acl for that user.

Or am I completely on the wrong track?

Thanks for any suggestions!