[Kolab-devel] Allow one domain admin to manage several domains

Timotheus Pokorra timotheus at pokorra.de
Mon Apr 29 17:49:55 CEST 2013

Hello Jeroen,

I have looked at the permissions of domain admins in LDAP in more detail.

In a default installation of Kolab3, this is how the permissions on
cn=kolab,cn=config look like (domains added with webadmin):

[root at kolab ~]# ldapsearch -x -h localhost -D "cn=Directory Manager"
-w "test" -b "cn=kolab,cn=config"  \* nsRole
# extended LDIF
#
# LDAPv3
# base <cn=kolab,cn=config> with scope subtree
# filter: (objectclass=*)
# requesting: * nsRole
#

# kolab, config
dn: cn=kolab,cn=config
objectClass: top
objectClass: extensibleobject
cn: kolab
aci: (targetattr = "*") (version 3.0;acl "Kolab Services";allow (read,compare,
 search)(userdn = "ldap:///uid=kolab-service,ou=Special Users,dc=test,dc=tbits
 ,dc=net");)

# test.tbits.net, kolab, config
dn: associateddomain=test.tbits.net,cn=kolab,cn=config
objectClass: top
objectClass: domainrelatedobject
associatedDomain: test.tbits.net
aci: (targetattr = "*") (version 3.0;acl "Read Access for test.tbits.net Users
 ";allow (read,compare,search)(userdn = "ldap:///dc=test,dc=tbits,dc=net??sub?
 (objectclass=*)");)

# test2.tbits.net, kolab, config
dn: associateddomain=test2.tbits.net,cn=kolab,cn=config
objectClass: top
objectClass: domainrelatedobject
associatedDomain: test2.tbits.net

# test3.tbits.net, kolab, config
dn: associateddomain=test3.tbits.net,cn=kolab,cn=config
objectClass: top
objectClass: domainrelatedobject
associatedDomain: test3.tbits.net

# search result
search: 2
result: 0 Success

# numResponses: 5
# numEntries: 4

I have tried, a user from eg. test2.tbits.net with role kolab-admin
does not have read permissions on cn=kolab,cn=config.

I now have modified my previous patch, and now when setting
permissions for a domain admin on another domain, I will add the
permissions through acl (similar to "Read Access for test.tbits.net
Users" above) so that the domain admin can see the other domain.

I have updated my patch here:
https://gist.github.com/tpokorra/5244642#file-patchmultidomainadmins-patch

And the branch off git master is here:
https://github.com/tpokorra/kolab-wap/commits/admin_for_multiple_domains_V2

It does not read the kolab.conf file anymore.
I also tried to follow your other suggestions from your comments.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks,
  Timotheus