[Kolab-devel] setup-errors on Mageia

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Oct 15 14:55:35 CEST 2012

On 2012-10-15 0:04, Thomas Spuhler wrote:
> It's very strange. When I install the set of kolab packages using
> urpmi kolab, the directory
> /run/kolabd/ doesn't exits
>
> /var/run/ is a link to /run/

I think you're running a system on which /run/ is mounted as tmpfs, and
so on boot (read: upon mount), no directories nor files exist; all of
those that exist by the time you log in to the system, have been created
by services themselves (before, and some of those do, they drop root
privileges should they have started with those to begin with) or
services management (which then starts the service program as some
unprivileged user).

> After uninstalling kolab-server and re-installing it, the directory
> is there with user/group kolab/kolab

My kolab-server package ships /var/run/kolabd/, but you have your own.
That said, on systems where /var/run/ and/or /run/ is mounted on tmpfs,
it doesn't really matter what the package ships; the service init script
or systemd module should be taking care of creating the directory with
the correct permissions, or start the service program with root
privileges (it'll drop those itself) so it can create the directory to
write the PID file in to.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--