[Kolab-devel] libkolabxml build without kde* dependencies

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Thu Mar 22 13:06:05 CET 2012

On 2012-03-22 12:54, Christian Hilberg wrote:
> Hi everyone,

Hi Christian,

> Am Mittwoch 21 März 2012, um 11:29:24 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen
> (Kolab Systems):
>> Please find attached the build log for an attempted build without
>> kdelibs{,-
>> devel}, kdepimlibs{,-devel} build requirements available in the
>> chroot.
>
> Without having checked the build log yet, let me just add a few bits
> here.
>
> We've just recently ported the evolution-kolab [0] plugin for
> Evolution
> from the old code base (Evolution 2.30) over to the current
> development version and are about to release evolution-kolab as a
> part of GNOME 3.4.
>   In order to be able to support a future Kolab 3 server, it would be
> very much helpful to use a library like libkolabxml for parsing the
> new format.
> However, if libkolabxml will depend on KDE libraries, it will be
> difficult to
> get it into a GNOME application (although evolution-kolab is a plugin
> only).

We are well aware of the awkward dependency chain introduced by
depending on parts of the KDE stack for libkolabxml.

We're looking into opportunities to move the logic we need for, for
example, event recurrences and exceptions (kcalcore.so), *from* the KDE
library and *into* a library that both libkolabxml and the KDE
applications that need it could use.

For now, the KDE dependencies have already been made optional.

>   Freeing libkolabxml of its KDE dependencies therefore looks like a
> very good idea to me. Maybe even the SyncKolab people would be
> interested in using this
> library, so my gut feeling is, that, the less dependencies
> libkolabxml will have, the more widespread its use in various
> projects will become (which
> IMHO would be a big win for the Kolab community).

Evolution-kolab - if I understand correctly - is written in C, right?
Needing to render C-bindings has been mentioned, but I (we?) are
wondering whether it is possible / feasible to link a C++ library from
within C code directly, as opposed to using bindings and wrappers.

It would be much appreciated if you could shed some light on that for
us.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--