[Kolab-devel] libkolabxml build without kde* dependencies

Christian Hilberg hilberg at kernelconcepts.de
Thu Mar 22 14:33:54 CET 2012

Hi Jeroen,

Am Donnerstag 22 März 2012, um 13:06:05 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems):
> On 2012-03-22 12:54, Christian Hilberg wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >

> Hi Christian,
>
> > Am Mittwoch 21 März 2012, um 11:29:24 schrieb Jeroen van Meeuwen
> > (Kolab Systems):
> >> Please find attached the build log for an attempted build without
> >> kdelibs{,-devel}, kdepimlibs{,-devel} build requirements available in the
> >> chroot.
> >
> > Without having checked the build log yet, let me just add a few bits
> > here.
> >
> > We've just recently ported the evolution-kolab [0] plugin for
> > Evolution from the old code base (Evolution 2.30) over to the current
> > development version and are about to release evolution-kolab as a
> > part of GNOME 3.4.
> >   In order to be able to support a future Kolab 3 server, it would be
> > very much helpful to use a library like libkolabxml for parsing the
> > new format.
> > However, if libkolabxml will depend on KDE libraries, it will be
> > difficult to get it into a GNOME application (although evolution-kolab
> > is a plugin only).
>
> We are well aware of the awkward dependency chain introduced by
> depending on parts of the KDE stack for libkolabxml.
>
> We're looking into opportunities to move the logic we need for, for
> example, event recurrences and exceptions (kcalcore.so), *from* the KDE
> library and *into* a library that both libkolabxml and the KDE
> applications that need it could use.

That sounds like a very sane route to take. If that will be possible,
it should make it much easier for non-KDE projects to benefit from
libkolabxml.

> [...]
> Evolution-kolab - if I understand correctly - is written in C, right?

That's true.

> Needing to render C-bindings has been mentioned, but I (we?) are
> wondering whether it is possible / feasible to link a C++ library from
> within C code directly, as opposed to using bindings and wrappers.
>
> It would be much appreciated if you could shed some light on that for
> us.

I've posted my understanding of that matter on kolab-format (as a reply
to [0], but the reply does not yet show in the archive), since
the issue had initially been brought up there.

HTH, and kind regards,

	Christian

[0] http://www.intevation.de/pipermail/kolab-format/2012-March/001598.html

--
kernel concepts GmbH       Tel: +49-271-771091-14
Sieghuetter Hauptweg 48