[Kolab-devel] Kolab libraries and dependencies

Allen Winter allen.winter at kdab.com
Mon Mar 12 16:38:48 CET 2012

On Monday 12 March 2012 11:28:39 AM Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm not quite sure about the dependencies of our libraries, and I'd like to
> get that solved rather soon as I don't like to work with multiple copies of
> the same codebase.
>
> I see the following components with the dependencies of each:
>
> - libkolabxml (not the repository but the library)
>
> - kcalcoreconversion (kolab to kcal core)
> 	- libkolabxml
> 	- KCalCore
>
> - kolabV2 (Kontact kolabv2 implementation
> 	- KCalCore
>
> - KolabMime (based on KMime, embeds/extracts xml file in/from mime message)
> 	- KMime
>
> - Migration-Utility
> 	- libkolabxml
> 	- kolabV2
> 	- KCalCore
> 	- Kolab Mime
>
> - Kolab-Resource
> 	- libkolabxml
> 	- kolabV2
> 	- KCalCore
> 	- Kolab Mime
>
> On the KDE side we have kdepimlibs where we currently have KMime and KCalCore
> and kdepim-runtime where we have the Kolab-Resource and the KolabV2
> implementation. Since kdepim-runtime is not suitable as a dependency I'd like
> to move the suitable parts to kdepimlibs. I have the following in mind:
>
> - kdepimlibs in a new kolab directory:
> 	- kolabV2
> 	- kolabV3 (small wrapper using kcalcoreconversion and libkolabxml, does
> error propagation to KDE)
> 	- KolabMime
> 	- kcalcoreconversion (KCalCore is also here)
>
> - kdepim-runtime:
> 	- Kolab-Resource
> 	- Migration-Utility
>
> - libkolabxml
> 	- libkolabxml (obviously =)
>

> This way we'd get the libkolabxml repository clean of KDE dependencies and get
> at least some kind of structure (other than mutual dependencies).
> The kdepimlibs blob sucks a bit though, and having to install kdepim-runtime
> for the migration-utility is maybe also not ideal. Also I have to check if
> kdepimlibs is suitable with it's binary compatibility requirements.
> A kolab-kde repository containing the kdepimlibs parts and the migration-
> utility would be another viable option IMO.

Speaking with my KDEPIM Hat On:

After discussing with Volker, we think it makes sense to keep kolab specific libraries separate from KDE.

But we are fine with having the resources and migration tools in kdepim-runtime.
So the kdepim-runtime would look for optional, external kolab libraries and build
the resource and migrator if such are found.

This setup would allow the external kolab libs to follow protocol changes faster
or on a different schedule than KDE SC.

Does this make sense and work for you?

-Allen

--