[Kolab-devel] Kolab libraries and dependencies

Christian Mollekopf mollekopf at kolabsys.com
Mon Mar 12 11:28:39 CET 2012

Hey,

I'm not quite sure about the dependencies of our libraries, and I'd like to
get that solved rather soon as I don't like to work with multiple copies of
the same codebase.

I see the following components with the dependencies of each:

- libkolabxml (not the repository but the library)

- kcalcoreconversion (kolab to kcal core)
	- libkolabxml
	- KCalCore

- kolabV2 (Kontact kolabv2 implementation
	- KCalCore

- KolabMime (based on KMime, embeds/extracts xml file in/from mime message)
	- KMime

- Migration-Utility
	- libkolabxml
	- kolabV2
	- KCalCore
	- Kolab Mime

- Kolab-Resource
	- libkolabxml
	- kolabV2
	- KCalCore
	- Kolab Mime

On the KDE side we have kdepimlibs where we currently have KMime and KCalCore
and kdepim-runtime where we have the Kolab-Resource and the KolabV2
implementation. Since kdepim-runtime is not suitable as a dependency I'd like
to move the suitable parts to kdepimlibs. I have the following in mind:

- kdepimlibs in a new kolab directory:
	- kolabV2
	- kolabV3 (small wrapper using kcalcoreconversion and libkolabxml, does
error propagation to KDE)
	- KolabMime
	- kcalcoreconversion (KCalCore is also here)

- kdepim-runtime:
	- Kolab-Resource
	- Migration-Utility

- libkolabxml
	- libkolabxml (obviously =)

This way we'd get the libkolabxml repository clean of KDE dependencies and get
at least some kind of structure (other than mutual dependencies).
The kdepimlibs blob sucks a bit though, and having to install kdepim-runtime
for the migration-utility is maybe also not ideal. Also I have to check if
kdepimlibs is suitable with it's binary compatibility requirements.
A kolab-kde repository containing the kdepimlibs parts and the migration-
utility would be another viable option IMO.

Cheers,
Christian