[Kolab-devel] Resource Management in Kolab 3.0

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Mar 12 15:33:55 CET 2012

As per http://wiki.kolab.org/Kolab_3.0_Resource_Management

I'm thinking about a way to implement this, but I need some
clarification on what the flow is of messages.

Suppose John reserves Car #1 for Monday and Wednesday.

Suppose Jane reserves Car #2 for Monday and Tuesday.

The reservations now look as follows:

        | Monday | Tuesday | Wednesday
-------+--------+---------+----------
Car #1 | John   |         | John
-------+--------+---------+----------
Car #2 | Jane   | Jane    |

Suppose Max wants to make a car reservation for Tuesday and Wednesday.

The following questions come to mind;

- What is Jane's reservation?

   - Is Jane's reservation based on needing the car Monday morning
throughout Tuesday evening (do not return car Monday evening), or;
   - Is Jane's reservation really a Monday, and also Tuesday (return the
car on Monday)?

Suppose Jane does not return the car on Monday (and that in fact was
the plan as well);

- What is displayed to Max wanting to make a Tuesday-Wednesday
reservation?

   - Does Max see a "just try to make a reservation we'll attempt to
figure it out and let you know"?
   - Does the client (responsible for rendering the UI that Max is
presented with) offer a car available or not available, or
tentative/maybe?

Furthermore;

- Is the client responsible for the capability to render the
availability information, or is the client offered with such
capabilities?

Also;

- The most effective way to negate the entire problem is to immediately
re-schedule John's reservation on Monday (for Car #1) to Car #2, and
Jane's reservation (Car #2) to Car #1, freeing up Car #2 for Tuesday and
Wednesday - however, given that cars are written off over a period of
time and mileage, it's probably not sustainable to put load on any
particular one of the resources in the set, and this re-scheduling would
need to be balanced somehow. This would greatly complicate the resource
management - but could be implemented.

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

--