[Kolab-devel] ActiveSync: event alarms

Georg C. F. Greve greve at kolabsys.com
Fri Jul 20 09:45:36 CEST 2012

On Friday 20 July 2012 07.47:24 Heiner Markert wrote:
> It would however be a great enhancement over the current z-push
> implementation  if it was possible to somehow determine the folder that an
> event is imported to even when syncing in "flat mode". It is very annoying
> that all events created on the mobile end up in the personal calendar.

I agree that it would be great.

The problem is this is a client limitation.

The phone just does not know the concept of folders in ActiveSync, which is
why this had to be pushed to flat mode in the first place. The only other option
would be to only ever be able to sync a single folder, or have one account set
up per folder for phones that allow this.

So there is not much Kolab can do about that, unfortunately.

A theoretically possible path might be through magic values in certain fields,
but that would be awful usability, fragile and a support nightmare.

The only way around this would be to stop using ActiveSync altogether and have
native Kolab clients (with folder awareness) on the mobile, e.g.
https://code.google.com/p/kolab-android/

Anyone who would like to help with these native plugins on any of the common
platforms would certainly get all the help we can provide from us.

Best regards,
Georg

--
Georg C. F. Greve