[Kolab-devel] Next generation web client UI

Thomas Brüderli bruederli at kolabsys.com
Thu Jul 12 11:17:15 CEST 2012

Torsten Grote wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 July 2012 22:21:11 Thomas Brüderli wrote:
>> I like the solution with the drop-down menu for the main tasks but one
>> reason for that was actually to gain some more vertical space which is
>> now taken by the main task buttons. I'd suggest to at least remove the
>> topmost black bar by placing the logout link also into that drop-down
>> menu and moving the user name left of the drop-down since we now have
>> plenty of horizontal space. The About link and the version information
>> aren't that important to occupy space on every screen. And maybe he can
>> still squeeze the header by some pixels to get even more vertical space.
>
> I agree with that comment. An alternative proposal would be to move commonly
> used activities such as "E-Mail, Contacts, Calendar" out of the drop-down menu
> and put them right into that bar like the future Roundcube skin does.

The big question here is to define the "commonly used activities". I
guess that is a rather subjective value and highly depends on the
individual user's opinion and tasks. The rolls royce solution is to make
that list configurable by the user.

As an alternative I could imagine an option (small button somewhere next
to the menu) which toggles a horizontal bar with tasks icons for fast
switching.

> Are there mockups for calender and addressbook view as well?

Not yet. The first drafts aimed to give us a general idea of the look
before going into details. But they'll again be derived from the new
Roundcube layouts. For the sake of completeness, I just added the drafts
for the calendar module to the Flickr gallery at
http://www.flickr.com/photos/roundcube/sets/72157627599045023/

~Thomas