[Kolab-devel] Branch '2.3-stable' - 2 commits - kolabd/kolabd.spec release-notes.txt

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at horde.org
Thu Sep 15 05:56:54 CEST 2011

Quoting Christoph Wickert <wickert at kolabsys.com>:

> On Wednesday 14 September 2011 10:21:51 Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> Quoting Christoph Wickert <wickert at kolabsys.com>:
>> > kolabd/kolabd.spec |    6 +++---
>> >
>> >  release-notes.txt  |   12 ------------
>> >  2 files changed, 3 insertions(+), 15 deletions(-)
>> >
>> > New commits:
>> > commit 0e8e44b895887ae349f3db9dadb3af36e390670c
>> > Author: Christoph Wickert <wickert at kolabsys.com>
>> > Date:   Tue Sep 13 19:04:15 2011 +0200
>> >
>> >     Revert "Require the PHP filter module."
>> >
>> >     This reverts commit a59de23c20253f613ac55edc4293798f96f8928d because
>> >     it should never have happened in 2.3-stable but in the 'horde4'
>> >     branch.
>>
>> *Absolutely not*.
>
> Why not? What is the rationale to have this in 2.3-stable?
>
>> Why has this been reverted without further communication?
>
> There was no time for communication, I am releasing 2.3.3.
>
> Let me explain my decision:

Took the discussion of the technical aspects to another mail.

> 1. Changes for Horde 4 have nothing to do in '2.3-stable'. 2.3-stable is a
> branch for bugfixing *only*.

We had internal communications on the PHP filter module before I did
the commit and I believe I made my intention on commiting this to
2.3-stable clear. So I wonder a bit why you mention this only now.

> That's why you have your own 'horde4' branch.

"horde4" is a stale branch and I deleted it in order to clarify this.

> 2. As there were no functional changes in kolabd there is no reason for an
> update, we just continue with kolabd 2.3.2 instead of forcing our users to
> download and update more than required. Now that I am to release 2.3.3, this
> means I tag 2.3.3 in git. The tag *MUST* match with what we ship and thus I
> *had* to revert your changes.
>
> 3. Changing kolabd to force building the php filter module was the wrong
> approach. kolabd does not need the module but Horde 4 does. Therefor your
> Horde 4 packages should require it, not kolabd.
>
> 4. If you had done this change in the Makefile of php and apache-php or in
> install-kolab.sh, it would have been in 2.3.3 without any changes
> because both
> got updated. Your change would have just slipped in without any hassle for me
> or our users, but the way you choose was not acceptable.

I guess we don't need to discuss the points you raised above if you
say you are willing to accept the change in this way. I would simply
flip the "with_filter" default to "yes" if that is okay for you.

Cheers,

Gunnar

--
Core Developer