[Kolab-devel] State of Kontact Mail

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Fri Dec 2 15:03:38 CET 2011

Hello Heiner,

Am Friday, 2. December 2011 12:35:35 schrieb Heiner Markert:
> > If you want to check out Kontact Mail (the new design) you should do it
> > for seeing the potential or for helping to improve it.
> > If you want a stable Kolab Client or just a nice Email and PIM
> > application, use a stable Kontact E35 based on the KDE 3 Plattform.
> > It nicely integrated with the new Plasma Desktops based on KDE Plattform
> > 4. Kontact Enterprise35 has been continously maintained and improved, it
> > is mature with lots of enterprise production experience.

> I would love to use Kontact E35 on a KDE 4 system, if I just knew how to
> install it. However, I am unable to find packages that can be installed
> through the package manager for any major and recent linux distribution,
> besides a rather incomplete Ubuntu variant where apt-pinning is required to
> install one (fixed!) version
> (http://wiki.kolab.org/KDE_Kolab_Client/Ubuntu) - so no automatic updates
> will be applied. And this wiki entry does not deal with recent Ubuntu
> releases.
>
> Can you provide a way to install Kontact E35 on a modern linux system, such
> that updates will be installed automatically through the package manager,
> package conflict resultion is provided etc.? This would be great
> information.

you can already (pre)order Certified Kolab Systems  packages for a number of
modern GNU distributions, see
http://kolabsys.com/index.php/solutions/110#clients and the price list
(you can reach it from the top of the page):
+ Certified Kolab Client 3.5 – based on KDE Kontact. Highly tested, reliable
and mature, available on several GNU/Linux platforms, such as Debian Stable,
Ubuntu LTS, UCS, RHEL and Centos.

To my knowledge Kolab System aims to also provide uncertified community
packages, if you do not need their support and maintenance services.
It might depend on the amount of (pre)orders received by them.
Georg will knows the details.

For Debian Squeeze there are already some packages without warranty:
  http://files.kolab.org/apt/releases/dists/squeeze/experimental/

Another option is the KDE 3.5 maintenance initiative Trinity Desktop.
http://www.trinitydesktop.org/, they announce packages for nine GNU
distributions, but you probably have to completely use trinity packages then.
The contained Kontact should be very close to the Kontact e35 quality,
without the additional quality assurance that Kolab Systems does for its
customers before a release.

Best Regards,
Bernhard

--
Managing Director + Owner: www.Intevation.net <- A Free Software Company
Kolabsys.com: Board Member          FSFE.org: Founding GA Member