[Kolab-devel] State of Kontact Mail

Heiner Markert mephisto at gmx.net
Fri Dec 2 12:35:35 CET 2011

> On Thursday 24 November 2011 17:48:55 Andreas Gungl wrote:
> > Like many others I'm disappointed from KMail in KDE 4. All that Akonadi
> > stuff might be technically interesting, but as long as things don't work
> > as stable and fast as KMail in KDE 3, I wouldn't give it more credit
> > than Thunderbird.
>
> If you want to check out Kontact Mail (the new design) you should do it for
> seeing the potential or for helping to improve it.
> If you want a stable Kolab Client or just a nice Email and PIM application,
> use a stable Kontact E35 based on the KDE 3 Plattform.
> It nicely integrated with the new Plasma Desktops based on KDE Plattform 4.
> Kontact Enterprise35 has been continously maintained and improved,
> it is mature with lots of enterprise production experience.

Hello,

I would love to use Kontact E35 on a KDE 4 system, if I just knew how to
install it. However, I am unable to find packages that can be installed through
the package manager for any major and recent linux distribution, besides a
rather incomplete Ubuntu variant where apt-pinning is required to install one
(fixed!) version (http://wiki.kolab.org/KDE_Kolab_Client/Ubuntu) - so no
automatic updates will be applied. And this wiki entry does not deal with
recent Ubuntu releases.

Can you provide a way to install Kontact E35 on a modern linux system, such
that updates will be installed automatically through the package manager,
package conflict resultion is provided etc.? This would be great information.

Best regards
Heiner