[Kolab-devel] Packaging the kolab-webadmin package

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Wed Sep 15 17:49:57 CEST 2010

* Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at kolabsys.com> [20100915 17:11]:
> So I'm open to discuss the location of these Kolab_* packages.

I did not intend to question this, you provided good reasons for the
Kolab_* packages to be in horde's SCM (or at that time: SCMs) which
had a good chance to outweight the negative impact on hackability.

Moving them again will probably more harmful than helpful,
especially because Horde now uses a dSCM.

But for kolab-webadmin the benefit of having it in a different
SCM would be too low to justify the segregation.

> I don't see this particularly connected to hg.kolab.org. It is in fact
> my intention to separate the source code as clearly as possible from
> the packaging. We've had the joined repo in the past and it lead to
> the current state of the code. So, yes, I definitely want to add
> another piece of infrastructure - a repository - to keep the
> kolab-webadmin source code (kolabd, perl-kolab should get their own
> repos too once I cleaned those).

As I already replied elsewhere (I think to Jeroen's mail), I think
it is good to have the components separated from each other and from
the packaging.

> And if we add that piece of infrastructure on hg.kolab.org or
> git.kolab.org or git.kolabsys.com is something that ultimately does
> not matter to me personally at all. It is a distributed revision
> control system, I can work with it, I'm happy.

:)

> I only felt that the people that will primarily be involved with
> coding on the web admin have a preference towards git. I do too, for
> that matter. Hence my suggestion.

I still think that everyone who is able to use git is able to use
Mercurial and can be equally productive with both.

On the other hand I am still of the opinion that Mercurial is more
suitable for many people not knowing SCMs yet or only knowing
CVS/SVN.

Additionally using git:// URLs will not be possible for many people
sitting behind restrictive firewalls (could be true for some
partners and many customers), so they have to use the (to my
knowledge, a short test with git.kolabsys.com confirmed this again)
much less efficient http protocol of git.

Though I must admit that the cgit web interface (compared to gitweb)
that you use on git.kolabsys.com became really nice.

Regards,
Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrueck - AG Osnabrueck, HR B 18998