[Kolab-devel] PCI compliance?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at kolabsys.com
Wed Sep 1 19:16:06 CEST 2010

Zitat von Jerry Pommer <jpommer at bynari.net>:

> Hello all,
>
> Here in the United States, businesses that accept credit cards through
> websites and such are expected to comply with the Payment Card Industry
> Data Security Standard:
>
> http://www.pcicomplianceguide.org/pcifaqs.php
>
> Part of compliance with this standard includes subjecting your network
> to a "compliance scan" and audit every six months. The scan and manual
> audit identify vulnerabilities in firewalls and installed software. To
> meet the compliance standard you might have to upgrade Apache or PHP,
> for example, if the version you are running is known to contain a
> vulnerability that could compromise the security of your customer's
> credit card transaction data. Failure to comply may result in fines and
> other costs levied by the credit card companies until the problem is
> resolved.
>
> Is the Kolab development community paying attention to this, and taking
> steps at regular intervals to patch the server when necessary? I have
> searched the list archives back to January 2009 and found no discussion
> of such.

We do take security serious of course and if you look at
http://kolab.org/ you will see that we publish security fixes when
required.

I do not know anything about PCI-compliance though but that might be
linked to the fact that I'm a developer living in Germany. My focus is
on the technical side of the server. I added Georg and Paul on cc.
They should be able to provide more details.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Thank you,
>
> Jerry Pommer