[Kolab-devel] The kolab.org website

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Fri Oct 22 13:50:00 CEST 2010

Hi there,

While Kolab Systems required some Web Analytics, I've installed the Open
Source Piwik[1] web analytics suite on one of our application servers some
time last week.

Because the collection of web analytics is more accurate and more informative
when used throughout a complete eco-system rather then on a per-website basis,
I've also enabled tracking visitors on http://wiki.kolab.org.

Kolab Systems does not want to keep the data related to *.kolab.org private,
but regrettably Piwik does not allow user-level delegation of profiles similar
to how Google Analytics allows such delegation... Hence, while Piwik only
allows a single user to either view all statistics for all websites, or none
at all, I can't really open up this one instance I have currently running.
However, should the statistics be interesting enough to many other people; I
might install a completely separate instance for Web Analytics on *.kolab.org
and open that up to a broader audience.

In the interest of full disclosure, I've attached a report of the statistics
gathered over this full week (e.g. Oct 18th - 24th).

Back to the original point of this email:

The results of course only become more interesting over longer periods of
time, but one thing in particular draws my attention, and that is the bounce
rate of visitors (see Referrer Type in the attached report).

The bounce rate describes the percentage of people that only hit one page and
are then not hitting any of our other pages. I've been thinking about what it
means, and I came to the following list of possible reasons visitors only hit
one page;

- The information on the page does not help them nor refer them to information
(on our sites) that does help them, or

- People seek information related to very specific questions we may not have
documented the answers for (in the right location that's being hit through
search engines), or

- The first page they visit does in fact contain all the information they
require -which is the mere definition of success ;-)

Thinking of the cause of this small but important problem, I was thinking of
the following plan;

- Get the website analytics tracking code on www.kolab.org pages as well,

- Use the gathered statistics to, on a regular basis, decide what we could
improve to our web presence.

Thoughts?

[1] http://piwik.org

Kind regards,