[Kolab-devel] Code revision for kolab

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Wed Oct 13 10:07:51 CEST 2010

* Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at kolabsys.com> [20101012 23:55]:
> Zitat von Christoph Wickert <wickert at kolabsys.com>:
> > recently some changes have gone into the repo that confused some
> > contributors.
> > Therefor it was suggested to introduce code reviews before
> > committing changes.
>
> Feels like an unnecessary overhead to me. There was an intense
> discussion concerning these commits which actually tells me that we do
> have an active code review process which is alive and kicking.
>
> I do believe we are all aware that with the start of Kolab Systems the
> Kolab development sees some new activities, also new people and in
> general gets a decent shot of new energy.
>
> It is also obvious that this will not always be without some pain in
> the one or the other corner. Sometimes old ways will have to be
> abolished and sometimes new ideas will have to be ignored in favor of
> the old ways. I consider this process to be "learning" even if it may
> hurt a little.
>
> So we are all able to talk with each other and I really would like to
> avoid adding additional structure, rules or anything that can impede
> our current progress.

+1

There are many technical ways within Mercurial or with external
tools to enforce or encourage code review of each single change, but
at the moment I don't see enough benefit in this to warrant the
extra step.

Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Neuer Graben 17, 49074 Osnabrueck - AG Osnabrueck, HR B 18998