[Kolab-devel] merge5

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Mon Oct 11 12:16:39 CEST 2010

Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> Zitat von "Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems)" <vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com>:
> > Part of such things, one could say, are;
> >
> > - Provide the functionality as intended to work for 3.0, maybe based
> > on 2.3 so
> > people can get a head start testing,
> >
> > - Documentation of how this works,
> >
> > - Documentation on how to move from the old situation to the new
> > situation,
> >
> > - Deciding on what the default is going to be for this feature,
> >
> > - Allowing the simple toggling of this option somehow, including all
> > changes necessary to enable/disable the functionality, and checking of
> > the implications / restrictions to toggling such options.
>
> Yeah, sure, absolutely fine. This list however looks slightly
> different than your original comment about dropping "merge5" in two
> weeks. "merge5" to me is about the feature, not about the specific
> patch itself. As long as we keep the patch, we should keep the issue
> open. Once we have a clean alternative, we close it.

Well, yes of course; what needs to happen and what needs to happen in order to
make such happen are two different things. I'll give you an analogy;

Target: "Let's have a developer summit."
Question: Time, Date, Geographical area and number of attendees

Result: A list of things needing to be taken care of to make a summit happen.

Naturally, it's not sustainable to first complete or even just flesh out all
things that would need to be done before the idea of a summit is even pitched.

Kind regards,

--
Jeroen van Meeuwen
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG