[Kolab-devel] RFC 5464 : IMAP METADATA extension

Jeroen van Meeuwen (Kolab Systems) vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
Sun Nov 21 23:51:10 CET 2010

On Sunday, November 21, 2010 09:41:58 pm Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 21, 2010 at 07:24:02PM +0100, kael wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I've installed Cyrus 2.4.4 and looking at the METADATA extension, I
> > realized only draft-daboo-imap-annotatemore-07 is implemented.
>
> Yeah, it still does.
>
> > There's a patch from the Kolab folks (haven't tried yet), and according
> > to a discussion on the list from November 2009 a patch has been
> > developed by Fastmail devs.
>
> Not precisely - I had a play with it, but it's languished for a while.
> I had hoped to do it for 2.4, but the priority was getting the underlying
> mailbox models done.
>
> If Kolab already has a patch I'd definitely like to start with that.
> Jeroen - do you have one?  What state is it in?

I'm not aware of a patch against cyrus-imapd from within the Kolab universe,
that is related to RFC 5464.

The only patch I can think of, that relates to this message is the ability to
set arbitrary annotations through Cyrus[1,2].

Both (remotely) annotation-related patches have been applied in Cyrus IMAP
upstream.

That said, I have to warn you that the other patches listed on the page
referred to are not necessarily feasible technical implementations of the
functionality requested.

> > What's the state of Cyrus implementation ? Is there any plan to
> > implement the RFC version (can't find a ticket on Bugzilla) ?
>
> Yes, there certainly is.  I want to add CONDSTORE support to the
> annotations DB at the same time (at least the HIGHESTMODSEQ on the
> mailbox at the time a particular annotation was last touched - and
> bump the HIGHESTMODSEQ too) so that replication can transfer them
> efficiently.

I suppose what we need to have is a master RFC-5464 bugzilla ticket, possibly
split out over the several tasks completing the full implementation -Bron can
best be the judge on which RFC 5464 components to implement at the same time
while touching the code, as well as determine what is feasible to implement
*now* vs. what is feasible to target for a future release -in the 2.5 series?

Kind regards,

Jeroen van Meeuwen

[1] http://wiki.kolab.org/Kolab-major-app-patches#Cyrus_IMAPD
[2] http://hg.kolab.org/server/file/3c2a460e7e78/imapd/patches/cyrus-
imapd-2.3.15/KOLAB_cyrus-imapd-2.3.15_Annotations2.patch

--
Senior Engineer, Kolab Systems AG

e: vanmeeuwen at kolabsys.com
t: +316 42 801 403