[Kolab-devel] Where to save mobile device configuration? (Completing ActiveSync integration in Kolabmore extensions)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Mar 25 12:48:11 CET 2010

Am Donnerstag, 25. März 2010 12:34:26 schrieb Georg C. F. Greve:
> On Thursday 25 March 2010 11:55:12 Bernhard Reiter wrote:
> > Ideally: On the device itself.
> > So you would probably need to transfer it. I cannot say if this is
> > possible within active sync.
>
> I don't think that's possible.
>
> Also: Flattening the hierarchy is something that the server needs to do to
> then hide it from the device. So the code that depends on this
> configuration setting is on the server, not the device.

Sure the code is on the server, but the client (our device) should say what it
wants, this is why conceptually the configuration should live on the client
in this case. (Again in an ideal world.)

> > A workaround idea I have is:
> > Just offer two urls or the service, one flat and one hiearchical,
> > this way you can configure this on the device by chosing the service URL.
>
> Interesting idea.
>
> ActiveSync uses a default URL, IIRC.
>
> So maybe this would require some DNS magic.

Yes, whatever. It is just a way to transfer the configuration from the device
to the server.

Deputy Coordinator Germany: fsfe.org. Board member: www.kolabsys.com.