[Kolab-devel] Future of the Webclient: lets take a modest approach, dropping IMP and MIMP

Sascha Wilde wilde at intevation.de
Thu Feb 18 11:01:06 CET 2010

Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> writes:
> Quoting Sascha Wilde <wilde at intevation.de>:
[Continue web client development for DIMP only]
>> What are the practical implications of this?
>> - We will remove the choice between IMP,DIMP and MIMP from the login
>>   screen of the web client.  DIMP will be used always.
>> - Problems with DIMP gain higher priority, as the alternative IMP will
>>   no longer be valid.[3]
>> - Problems with IMP, which don't exist in DIMP might not be fixed.
>> - Requested feature only have to be realized in DIMP, which makes them
>>   more likely to get realized.
>>
>> We hope that we get by this a better tested, more stable and less ugly
>> client until the time is ripe for greater changes.
>>
>> Any objections to this plan?  "Speak Now or Forever Hold Your Peace!"
>> ;-)
>
> While I don't have objections in general I'm still uncertain about the
> specific course of action.
>
> Right now it looks to me that we do not have a concrete
> "must-have"-list for dimp.

We will have one, once the resources are in place to realize a
development sprint.  Till then we will concentrate on continues work to
solve issues from the kolab tracker.  Concentration on dimp exclusively
will reduce testing and implementation efforts and help setting
priorities.

> And I assume there will be some overlaps with things that have already
> been completed in Horde 4 (e.g. support for PGP in Dimp).

After talking to Gunnar (who had a fresh look at the current development
status of horde 4) on this, we agreed that Horde 4 is no option when it
comes to short term improvements for the Kolab Web Client.

So I will readjust priorities for the web client related issues in the
tracker within the next days to reflect our decision.

cheers
sascha
--
Sascha Wilde                                          OpenPGP key: 4BB86568
http://www.intevation.de/~wilde/                  http://www.intevation.de/