[Kolab-devel] Kolab Server 2.3 Goals

Sascha Wilde wilde at intevation.de
Tue Feb 16 18:39:33 CET 2010

Hi *,

as reported in my mail on the short time web client future I and Thomas
developed ideas on some aspects of Kolab development.  Another
important aspect is the set of features we want to get into Kolab Server
2.3 (which will be released from the current CVS HEAD).

Here is a short list of the highlights:

-  LDAP DN:

   Its a well known fact, that the dn of kolab users currently contains
   the users cn, which is an awfully bad thing, as you can not have two
   users with the same name on one Kolab Server installation, not even
   in different domains.

   We will change this for 2.3.  It might be a good opportunity to
   introduce further improvements of the LDAP schmema, too -- but we
   are currently not sure if this will happen for 2.3.

   But it is set: we will fix the user dn.[1]

-  Cross Domain ACLs

   As I announced in an other thread, experimental cross domain acl
   support has been merged to HEAD and 2.2-branch -- and of cause we
   want to get it in a stable state, so that it can be part of 2.3 at
   least in beta quality.

-  Zpush

   Announced elsewhere, too: I want Zpush in 2.3.  There are currently
   licensing issues, but in case we get them resolved it will be part of
   the next major release.

-  OpenPKG Update

   We will incorporate all the last freely released OpenPKG packages.
   Gunnar already updated cyrus imapd, openldap, apache, postfix and
   some more will follow!

-  Map IMAP groups on LDAP groups

   Thomas suggested, that this should be possible by now and would make
   things a whole lot cleaner.  If we really get it into 2.3 will depend
   on the afford it would really take, but we should keep it in mind in
   any case!

-  Experimental Dovecot Support

   Well, about a year ago I committed some basic support for Dovecot as
   an IMAP back end to the cvs.  It basically works for simple setups
   (Bernhard Herzog and I did bunch of work on the Dovecot side too,
   which is already part of the current dovecot releases) and the next
   step is to make it install- and configurable with limited manual
   afford.

   This is medium priority work, but it is long time pending and really
   should happen for 2.3 -- most likely it will get an "experimental"
   status.

As always input and support on this topics is highly welcome..!

cheers
sascha

[1]  Standard disclaimer: unless something really unexpected and bad
     happens and keeps us from implementing this promised new feature.
--
Sascha Wilde                                          OpenPGP key: 4BB86568
http://www.intevation.de/~wilde/                  http://www.intevation.de/