[Kolab-devel] Separating sources from OpenPKG packaging

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Tue Feb 9 08:47:36 CET 2010

Quoting Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de>:

> * Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> [20100108 16:12]:
>> Quoting Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de>:
>>
>>> * Richard Bos <ml at radoeka.nl> [20091209 08:51]:
>>>
>>> Please keep everything somewhere below server, I don't want a
>>> different module (or directory) here, only subdirectories of server.
>>>

>> Can you detail why?
>>
>> Keeping them on the same level would indicate to me that the source
>> directories have similar content to the packaging directories. Which
>> they don't.
>
> In the past (before you moved much code to the Horde repositories)
> all code specific to Kolab Server lived in "server". Now to see all
> code I already have to look in other places.

The code I moved to the Horde repository is not "Kolab specific".
Free/Busy is something other projects do as well. Resource management
is also not specific to the Kolab server. Horde offers the same
features - albeit currently not in the same complexity as the Kolab
server does. Merging our libraries with the Horde code is an ongoing
effort.

> When you move some things to "src" next to "server", I will have to
> checkout yet another repository (even if on the same CVS server) and
> have to do tagging/branching/thinking/whatever in two separate
> places.

I wanted to move the source code into "server/src".

We discussed the same issue on the phone yesterday and we agreed that we would
simply use the structure currently in place in "kolabd" and
"kolab-webadmin". Having a second level directory that contains the
source which is named in the same way as the top level directory. So
the only change of the current system would be to add
"server/perl-kolab/perl-kolab" and move the source code into that
directory.

We'd build source tars in server/perl-kolab/perl-kolab (using
Makefile.PL) and publish them on files.kolab.org. The Makefile and
spec-file in "server/perl-kolab" would then download the source from
there and package it.

Thomas mentioned he won't move directories on the server so I'll do it
on the client side.

Cheers,

Gunnar