[Kolab-devel] [issue3967] UNTRUSTED vs. UNAUTHENTICATED, distinction considered harmful

Sascha Wilde issues at kolab.org
Wed Nov 25 16:04:58 CET 2009

New submission from Sascha Wilde <wilde at intevation.de>:

Currently there are two variables to configure the rewrite of From
headers when Mail Filter sender checking is enabled:

$conf['kolab']['filter']['untrusted_subject_insert']
$conf['kolab']['filter']['unauthenticated_subject_insert']

The difference is made by the distinction between untrusted
vs. unauthenticated senders.

While my latest extensive testing for issue973 I was not able to
create a mail, which was rewritten using the untrusted_subject_insert
variant.

The thing is, I don't even know, in what specific case which of the
messages should be used.  I talked to Thomas and even he is not really
sure, we looked a long time hard at the pseudo code in issue954 and at
the diagram based on it in the Kolab Server 2.2 "operating manual" on
http://kolab.org/documentation.html and while there are really exactly
two cases in which the from header is marked untrusted, BUT in both
cases the user is unauthenticated and using two different messages is
more confusing than helpful.

We did some more research in old issues and at least I came to the
conclusion that the existence of two different texts is merely an
accident (or result of considerations which are now obsolete).

So my strong suggestion is we should reduce this to exactly one text
for all cases in which the rewrite takes place.

This is for 2.3 or what ever HEAD will become.

assignedto: thomas
keyword: filter, server
messages: 22546
nosy: martin, thomas, wilde, wrobel
priority: bug
status: unread
title: UNTRUSTED vs. UNAUTHENTICATED, distinction considered harmful