[Kolab-devel] Kolab connector for Mac OS

Tyrell Berry tyrell.berry at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 18:57:58 CEST 2009

Expanding SyncML seems to be a logical approach.  There are already
funambol-based projects for other devices, like vcardio for android, and
considering funambol is open source, I'm equally sure I can get my hands on
their code reletively easy, so to expand it and make it work with custom
fields.  It wouldn't "Push" the changes the way that a solution which
bridges through mobileme/Apple Sync Services would, but is certainly a
solution that would benifit more iPhone users than my original
proposition.   I will investigate further.

As for Z-sync, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought activesync only
supported the standard VCard fields?  If it in fact supports custom labels
and such, it would be a far better match for my needs than any funambol
based solution could ever be...

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 6:02 AM, Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de>wrote:

> Am Samstag, 11. Juli 2009 19:58:28 schrieb Tyrell Berry:
> > So then the question becomes this:  Are there other people on this list
> > that would benefit from my efforts, and would be willing to help with
> > testing and/or coding?
>
> You would probably want to sync from the server,
> so one idea could be to improve the SymcML support of Horde
> which is the code base the Kolab Web Client is build upon,
> see http://wiki.kolab.org/index.php/Web_Client_SyncML
>
> Another route beside funambol could be to see if z-push could be integrated
> with Horde code or grow Kolab compatibility:
> http://z-push.sourceforge.net/soswp/
>
> Naturally - as Kolab Coordinator - I am interested in a broad range of
> developments and having a well working sync with mobile devices like the
> the
> IPhone is of course interesting.
>
> Best,
> Bernhard
>
> --
> Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net       (Free Software
> Company)
> Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: www.Kolab-Konsortium.com<http://www.kolab-konsortium.com/>
> .
> Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
> Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Tyrell Berry