[Kolab-devel] Kolab connector for Mac OS

Tyrell Berry tyrell.berry at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 19:58:28 CEST 2009

Thank you for those tips.  However, my biggest concern is syncing my custom
labels.  Somewhere I read that Funambol promises that they will be providing
this functionality at some point in the future, but at this point, it's just
not the solution I'm looking for.

Apple Sync Services looks very powerful, and looks easy to program for.  I
have been spending the last few days reading through the sync services
programming guide, and once I'm done, assuming another solution doesn't
become apparent, I will start working on a connector using it.

So then the question becomes this:  Are there other people on this list that
would benefit from my efforts, and would be willing to help with testing
and/or coding?

On Sat, Jul 11, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Del <delonly at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Tyrell,
>
> The only connector for Mac that I know of is the synckolab add-on for
> Thunderbird. The Kolab wiki is up to date on it's development and
> configuration.
>
> For your issues I would recommend testing the implemented procedure for
> syncing mobiles, which is SyncML directly to the Kolab server through
> Horde:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syncml
> http://wiki.horde.org/SyncHowTo
>
> For Iphone you can use the Funambol plug-in:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Funambol
>
> Using Kontact with Mac is still not a mature solution. The KDE4 version
> is not out of Beta yet, and the KDE3 version requires a running xserver
> with all it entails.
>
> Cheers,
> Del
>

> On Fri, 2009-07-10 at 14:53 -0700, Tyrell Berry wrote:
> > Hi, I'm new to this mailing list, so please excuse me if I'm posting
> > to the wrong mailing list.
> >
> > A few months back I asked in IRC if there was anyone working on a
> > Kolab connector for the native mac OS clients.   At that time, it was
> > indicated that there is no development in that direction, as mac users
> > are generally content with Kontact.
> >
> > With all of that said, (Unless I am mistaken) Kontact isn't really an
> > option for me.   My ultimate goal is to have my iPhone's address book
> > (And all of it's custom fields) synced with my 2 linux machines.   To
> > do that, I envision using my mac to sync with my iPhone (And later
> > with MobileMe), then sync the mac with Kolab.
> >
> > Now that my intentions are identified, I am seeking any available
> > solution.  However, based on my research, none exists to date.
> > Therefore, I am considering using Apple Sync Services to sync with
> > Kolab.
> >
> > Now for my question:  Is there any such project in process that I can
> > assist with?  Has there been any project in the past that I could
> > continue?  Is there another option that I have thus far been oblivious
> > to?  Any suggestions will be greatly appriciated.
> >

> > --
> > Tyrell Berry

Tyrell Berry