[Kolab-devel] Horde webmail patch management for the Kolab web client

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Jan 12 15:18:35 CET 2009

On Sonntag, 11. Januar 2009, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
> The reason why Mathieu asked about this is because he considers the
> big monolithic patch in Kolab CVS problematic to track.
>
> He is certainly right about that and I'm not 100% certain I chose the
> right solution here.
>
> We originally had less than ten Kolab specific patches which I kept in
> Kolab CVS. But I still had a lot of ongoing development within the
> Kolab libraries after the horde-webmail-1.2.0 release. So I'm
> currently at more than 50 patches (most of them are already integrated
> in Horde CVS though). And at some point I considered the monolithic
> patch a better alternative for most users. You download
> horde-webmail-1.2.0 to your machine, unpack it, download a single big
> patch, apply it and you are done.
>
> I still believe this is the best way to go. But on the other hand the
> way from the mercurial repository linked above to the final patch may
> be somewhat obscure. Do people have better ideas? Or should I just
> document it better in the wiki? Hoping for comments ;)

This is a good question.
Mathieu and other _could_ track changes to the big patch, which hopefully are
not that large to stabilitze is.
Single patch files seems to be be nicer if there is the change that more and
more patches are getting upstream. I have a slight tendency towards
smaller patch files, each patch addressing something which is a unit somehow.

However the question can only be answered if we write up all pros and cons
and consider them. (A wiki page is probably best for this.)

Bernhard

--
Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net      (Free Software Company)