[Kolab-devel] Horde webmail patch management for the Kolab web client

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Sun Jan 11 22:36:30 CET 2009

Hi!

Mathieu Parent asked in
https://www.intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue2738 if there exists a
possibility to follow the Horde Patch management for the Kolab web
client.

I want to take this to the discussion list because this might be of
interest to others, too.

The single patches required for the Kolab web client (based on Horde)
can be found here:

http://hg.pardus.de/cgi-bin/hg.cgi/horde/HORDE/

What you find there might actually not be too trivial to understand in
case you never worked with a patch queue - or mercurial queues - before.

The list of patches that is being used to generate the patches
available in Kolab CVS
(http://kolab.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs-kolab.cgi/server/patches/horde-webmail/1.2.0/) can be found in
http://hg.pardus.de/cgi-bin/hg.cgi/horde/HORDE/file/tip/series

They are marked with #+release and #+release-kolab.

The reason why Mathieu asked about this is because he considers the
big monolithic patch in Kolab CVS problematic to track.

He is certainly right about that and I'm not 100% certain I chose the
right solution here.

We originally had less than ten Kolab specific patches which I kept in
Kolab CVS. But I still had a lot of ongoing development within the
Kolab libraries after the horde-webmail-1.2.0 release. So I'm
currently at more than 50 patches (most of them are already integrated
in Horde CVS though). And at some point I considered the monolithic
patch a better alternative for most users. You download
horde-webmail-1.2.0 to your machine, unpack it, download a single big
patch, apply it and you are done.

I still believe this is the best way to go. But on the other hand the
way from the mercurial repository linked above to the final patch may
be somewhat obscure. Do people have better ideas? Or should I just
document it better in the wiki? Hoping for comments ;)

Cheers,

Gunnar