[Kolab-devel] Multiple Kolab's php eat all the RAM

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Mon Jan 5 11:06:22 CET 2009

On Mon, Jan 5, 2009 at 9:36 AM, Bernhard Reiter
<bernhard.reiter at intevation.de> wrote:
> On Samstag, 27. Dezember 2008, Gunnar Wrobel wrote:
>> Quoting "Diego M. Vadell" <dvadell at linuxclusters.com.ar>:

> Not really.
>
> The email transport system should be able to transport a single message
> to several recipients as one message until the very end.
> There have been several difficulties with this, so this ability
> might be switched off until they are fixed.

And the "end" allso can keep the email alone.
This require some more LDAP queries inside the filter :-)

> I do not recomment singleinstancestore on the imap backend,
> as it might complicate backups and restores. Usually using group accounts
> for account-less folders you can avoid too much double storage in the common
> cases.

This doesn't "complicate" the backup nor the restore,  except if you
want to keep this advantage during the backup and after the restore.

This reduce by 3 the space for my hosted domains.

This also require to use the good switch when using "du" :-)

>> >   I mitigated (or solved?) the issue by editing master.cf.template and
>> > changing this line:
>> >
>> > kolabmailboxfilter     unix  -       n       n       -      -        pipe
>> > user=kolab-n null_sender= argv=/kolab/bin/php
>> >
>> > to:
>> >
>> > kolabmailboxfilter     unix  -       n       n       -       2       pipe
>> > user=kolab-n null_sender= argv=/kolab/bin/php
>> >

>> > Given that amavisd gets only 2 emails at a time, I thought 2 was a good
>> > place to start.
>>
>> I believe that is a sensible safeguard.
>>
>> @thomas, bernhard: Should we add this as a default?
>
> [the technical solution should be followed up on kolab-devel at .]
> It would limit kolabmailboxfilter startup, right?
> 2 sounds too low to me for the general case.
> We should also find out why it takes up so much time to complete
> or how much memory is eaten.
>
> Bernhard
>
> --
> Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net       (Free Software Company)
> Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: www.Kolab-Konsortium.com.
> Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
> Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you