[Kolab-devel] Enhancing Kolab decision making(re: Is it okay to commit the samba patch to cvs?)

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Mon Sep 15 23:53:59 CEST 2008

Bernhard asked my advice about the inclusion of this patch in CVS .... :

As I say for long time now, I'm more in favor of a plugin interface than
the inclusion of any Samba's specific code into Kolab.

The pros and cons of the plugin architecture :

- require more code than the simple Samba's specific patch
+ the plugin architecture could be helpful to future Kolab's plugin
projects ( Asterisk integration, black and grey listing, ....)
+ The two projects (kolab and the samba plugin) will be able to
evolute independently. Changes in one will not automatically implies
change in the other. This is true for bug too.

For remember the Kolab's plugin interface should contains a least :
- some kolab's perl and PHP "function helper", "
- some php "hooks" to add screen and functionalities to the admin interface,
- some "hook" from inside the kolabd and the template generation ùprocess

Regards

--
Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com