[Kolab-devel] Enhancing Kolab decision making(re: Is it okay to commit the samba patch to cvs?)

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Sep 15 10:37:41 CEST 2008

Hi,

On Friday 12 September 2008 21:56, Richard Bos wrote:
> > Maybe we do need something like a KEP (Kolab Enhancement Proposal)
> > going by the example of Python's PEPs: http://www.python.org/dev/peps/ .
> > The problem is: How do we make decisions of this importance? How do we
> > keep the design philosophy?
>
> That would make things clearer from the start indeed.  Perhaps a KEP is too
> much, and perhaps it is sufficient to provide a template (or a wiki page)
> that contains the questions that you want to know.

this can be a start of something like a KEP process.
Questions will change with the proposal at hand and one important thing
is to have all the implication together as a summary and main arguments,
with pointers towards the detailed discussions.

> > Any CVS person could commit, (including Richard), but none would take
> > such a decison alone. Others have a hard time making up their mind,
> > because they would need to take 3 hours or so out, to completely read
> > through the material to be able to have a opinion on it.
>
> I agree.  While working on issue2997 I was already afraid that someone
> would make a statement like the one above.

:)

> It looks like that the following questions need to
> be answered:
>
> 1) Implications of making the change (this would include possible
> alternatives)
>
> 2) For whom, which use cases are solved
>
> 3) Why this technical approach was choosen

All good questions.
1) might be split up into at least giving the reason why this is doing more
good than bad. Security implications probably also should be discussed.

Bernhard