[Kolab-devel] RFC: "gender" field in contacts

Thomas Jarosch thomas.jarosch at intra2net.com
Mon Mar 31 19:22:59 CEST 2008

Hello together,

during tests of the Kolab driver for horde's contact manager (turba)
I've noticed the "gender" field is somewhat unspecific. The kolab format
documentation defines it as

"<gender>(string, default empty)</gender>"
(http://www.kolab.org/doc/kolabformat-2.0rc5-html/c266.html)

Turba's Kolab driver writes out "0" for male and "1" for female.
Outlook uses "0" for unspecified, "1" for female and "2" for male.
Kontact doesn't seem to have the gender field (by default).
(or is there a field somewhere hidden I've just overlooked?)

Personally I like the way with 0=>unspecified, 1=>female and so on.

What about making this the standard instead of a messy string field?
Does any known client write strings in there?

Cheers,
Thomas