[Kolab-devel] Using spamhaus? (was: Some postfix suggestion on Kolab (antispam, security, performance))

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Thu Jan 3 15:57:01 CET 2008

On Jan 3, 2008 10:53 AM, Bernhard Reiter <bernhard at intevation.de> wrote:
> Using spamhaus.
> On Monday 17 December 2007 20:30, Fabio Pietrosanti wrote:
> > Gelpi Andrea wrote:

> > > From http://www.spamhaus.org/organization/dnsblusage.html
> > >
> > > Use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs via DNS queries to our public DNSBL servers
> > > is free of charge if you meet all three of the following criteria:
> > >
> > > 1. Your use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs is non-commercial*, and
> > > 2. Your email traffic is less than 80,000 SMTP connections per day,
> > > and 3. Your DNSBL query volume is less than 320,000 queries per day.
> > >
> > > The 3 condition are in and not in or ... and
> > >
> > > *Definition: "non-commercial use" is use for any purpose other than as
> > > part or all of a product or service that is resold, or for use of which
> > > a fee is charged. For example, using our DNSBLs in a commercial spam
> > > filtering appliance that is then sold to others requires a data feed,
> > > regardless of use volume. The same is true of commercial spam filtering
> > > software and commercial spam filtering services.
> > >

> > From the description provided the "non commercial" mean if you use
> > spamhaus to reseller an antispam or other internet based email services.
>
> From reading the above paragraph, I'd say that companies selling Kolab
> services might also fall within the range of the definition.
> It is not entirely clear.
>
> > But Kolab is a groupware system mainly used by companies for their own use.
> >
> > This mean that the concept of "non commercial" use of Spamhaus is equal
> > of "for commercial use" of Kolab.
> >
> > I mean, all companies use it for *commercial use* in the sense that they
> > do business and they require to use their own email server for
> > exchanging email with their customers (for commercial use).
> >
> > They are not reselling an email service, but they are using spamhaus for
> > commercial use (but not in the sense that spamhaus define commercial use).
> >
> > So imho spamhaus could be used without any issue in the Kolab
> > environment that is a good platform for everything but not for an
> > internet service provider.
>
> IMO we should disable use of spamhaus by default because Kolab Server being a
> Free Software product, it must be possible to resell it commercially.
> Even when this is only a configuration, I believe the default configuration
> should be kept within such a clause.
>
> Bernhard

Here is a suggestion:

The Kolab interface can have a section about using RBL/spamhaus,
but no button to activate it. Instead the section reffert to a script to run.
The script change the status of a flag in k=kolab object.
The admin interface must display the satus of this flag in the RBL section.

That way the use of RBL is a voluntary action of the user!

Regards

> --
> Managing Director - Owner: www.intevation.net       (Free Software Company)
> Germany Coordinator: fsfeurope.org. Coordinator: www.Kolab-Konsortium.com.
> Intevation GmbH, Osnabrück, DE; Amtsgericht Osnabrück, HRB 18998
> Geschäftsführer Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com
May the sources be with you