[Kolab-devel] Using spamhaus? (was: Some postfix suggestion on Kolab (antispam, security, performance))

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Thu Jan 3 10:53:51 CET 2008

Using spamhaus.
On Monday 17 December 2007 20:30, Fabio Pietrosanti wrote:
> Gelpi Andrea wrote:
> > Fabio Pietrosanti ha scritto:

> >  From http://www.spamhaus.org/organization/dnsblusage.html
> >
> > Use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs via DNS queries to our public DNSBL servers
> > is free of charge if you meet all three of the following criteria:
> >
> >     1. Your use of the Spamhaus DNSBLs is non-commercial*, and
> >     2. Your email traffic is less than 80,000 SMTP connections per day,
> > and 3. Your DNSBL query volume is less than 320,000 queries per day.
> >
> > The 3 condition are in and not in or ... and
> >
> >   *Definition: "non-commercial use" is use for any purpose other than as
> > part or all of a product or service that is resold, or for use of which
> > a fee is charged. For example, using our DNSBLs in a commercial spam
> > filtering appliance that is then sold to others requires a data feed,
> > regardless of use volume. The same is true of commercial spam filtering
> > software and commercial spam filtering services.
> >

> From the description provided the "non commercial" mean if you use
> spamhaus to reseller an antispam or other internet based email services.

From reading the above paragraph, I'd say that companies selling Kolab
services might also fall within the range of the definition.
It is not entirely clear.

> But Kolab is a groupware system mainly used by companies for their own use.
>
> This mean that the concept of "non commercial" use of Spamhaus is equal
> of "for commercial use" of Kolab.
>
> I mean, all companies use it for *commercial use* in the sense that they
> do business and they require to use their own email server for
> exchanging email with their customers (for commercial use).
>
> They are not reselling an email service, but they are using spamhaus for
> commercial use (but not in the sense that spamhaus define commercial use).
>
> So imho spamhaus could be used without any issue in the Kolab
> environment that is a good platform for everything but not for an
> internet service provider.

IMO we should disable use of spamhaus by default because Kolab Server being a
Free Software product, it must be possible to resell it commercially.
Even when this is only a configuration, I believe the default configuration
should be kept within such a clause.

Bernhard