[Kolab-devel] [issue2492] Autocreate folders/subfolders patch

Mike Gabriel m.gabriel at das-netzwerkteam.de
Sat Feb 23 00:44:19 CET 2008

hi fabio,

Quoting Fabio Pietrosanti <kolab-issues at intevation.de>:

> New submission from Fabio Pietrosanti <fp at khamsa.ch>:
>
> In a lot of email service/server there are some policies for the
> mandatory usage of specific accounts
> and folders.
>
> For example many system use:
> INBOX
>  - Sent
>  - Drafts
>  - Trash
>  - Spam
>
> and use the Spam folder to put in it all the spam tagged messages.
>
> In Kolab even the creation of Sent/Drafts/Trash folders are up to
> the email clients that create it at the
> first logon.
>
> Certain clients create folders with wrong names, depending on the
> languages of the clients.
>
> For example Italian Outlook create the folder "Posta Inviata"
> instead of "Sent", but if it found Sent it use
> Sent as the folder.
>
> We would suggest to have, inside each account definition, which are
> the sub-folders that need to be
> created (and subscribed by the user) by Kolabd when the account is created.
>
> A new field in the ldap like "Folders:" could be an idea.

this issue is something i had on my list for reporting, as well...

it is absolutely annoying if you want to use one kolab account in two
different language environments and they both create default calendar,
contact, etc. folders.

same with sent items, trash, etc.

unfortuntately, IMHO there is no real standard for that. for usual
IMAP you can only try to be as compliant as possible. with a real
kolab client, LDAP would be a good place of storing the folder name
information...

GREAT,
mike