[Kolab-devel] no warning when sending mail to invalid mailaddress via smtp

Sönke Schwardt schwardt at univention.de
Tue Apr 8 13:23:40 CEST 2008

Hi!

I just noticed an odd behaviour (bug?) of horde/imp when sending a mail to an
invalid local address.
Following setup:
- local postfix handles mail domain foo.bar
- local horde installation (kolab3.2RC3)
- horde passes mails via SMTP to local postfix (local delivery via sendmail
command is currently no option for this setup)

When sending an email via imp to the unknown user foobar at foo.bar a warning
appears ("Beim Versenden der Nachricht ist ein Fehler aufgetreten: Failed to
send data [SMTP: Invalid response code received from server (code: 454,
response: 4.5.1 Error: no valid recipients)]") and the mail window stays
open.

When sending an email to a valid user and cc to an invalid local user no such
warning/error message appears and as user I would think both recipient would
get this mail. But according to mail.log postfix refused to accept the
invalid recipient:

Mar 18 05:14:18 ugs1 postfix/smtpd[27098]: 7B9689D08E: reject: RCPT from
localhost[127.0.0.1]: 450 4.1.1 <foobar at foo.bar>: Recipient address rejected:
User unknown in local recipient table; from=<test1 at foo.bar>
to=<foobar at foo.bar> proto=ESMTP helo=<localhost>

Am I wrong or should horde inform the user that not all recipient will get a
copy of the mail just sent?

Best regards

 Sönke
--
 ** Besuchen Sie uns auf dem LinuxTag vom 28.-31. Mai 2008 in Berlin **

Sönke Schwardt          Entwicklung               schwardt at univention.de
Univention GmbH         Linux for your business    fon: +49 421 22232-40
Mary-Somerville-Str.1   28359 Bremen               fax: +49 421 22232-99
                                                http://www.univention.de