[Kolab-devel] IMAP annotation for groupware folder descriptions

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Wed Sep 19 09:52:42 CEST 2007

Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de> writes:

> * Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> [20070918 23:33]:
>> If you use MySQL as the Horde backend it is trivial to support the
>> description feature and there will be users using it. So I doubt that
>> it will be removed. It has already existed a long time and has
>> actually always been "supported" by the Kolab driver within Horde
>> (even the old broken ones). The use of
>> "/vendor/kolab/h-share-attr-desc" originates from the older driver
>> versions.
>>
>> Since it is trivial to support it as an additional annotation on the
>> IMAP server I'm definitely in favor of keeping it but I don't mind if
>> it is not going to be implemented in the other clients.
>
> That's why I'd prefer /vendor/horde/something ... even if other
> clients will implement it, they will be compatible with this horde
> feature here.

Ah, forgot to comment on that. While the wording in the Kolab format
specification at
http://kolab.org/doc/kolabformat-2.0rc5-html/c154.html#AEN157 is
rather vague about this topic I assume that the intention of the
paragraph on client specific annotations means that Horde should use
"/vendor/kolab/h-*" for its specific features.

So I'm cross-posting this to kolab-format.

I do believe that we might nevertheless keep the client entries in
"/vendor/kolab/*" since we control what annotation values can actually
be stored on the server. I'd also be fine with using "/vendor/horde"
but then the other client specific attributes would need to be
renamed. I don't know if there actually are any other client specific
annotations being used?

This would be important because the newer IMAP server does not allow
to store abitrary annotations anymore (for security reasons). So we
would need to declare them.

Cheers,

Gunnar

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg