[Kolab-devel] Kolab server version numbering (was: Re: Making perl-kolab a real library)

Thomas Arendsen Hein thomas at intevation.de
Fri Oct 12 18:26:28 CEST 2007

* Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> [20070815 18:05]:
> Thought so too :) and hacked a short test script that gave me this output:
>
> 2.1.0 > 2.1.0: 0
> 2.1.0cvs > 2.1.0: 1
> 2.1.0 > 2.1.0cvs: -1
> 2.1.0.cvs > 2.1.0: 1
> 2.1.0beta > 2.1.0: 1
> 2.1.1 > 2.1.0cvs: 1
> 20070815 > 20070815: 0
> cvs20070815 > 20070814: -1
> 20070815 > cvs20070815: 1
>
> rpm is incabable of recognizing
>
> 2.1.0beta < 2.1.0

http://linux.duke.edu/~mstenner/docs/rpm-version-cmp has a helpful
hint for the last case: "package version breaks software version ties"

For the version numbering I want any package (or snapshot) of the
2.2 (currently HEAD) branch to be newer than any package (current or
future) of the 2.1 branch, so I think we have the following
possibilities:

  2.2.beta1-20071011
< 2.2.beta1.cvs-20071011
< 2.2.beta2-20071011
< 2.2.beta2.cvs-20071011
< 2.2.rc1-20071011
< 2.2.rc1.cvs-20071011
< 2.2.0-20071012
< 2.2.0.cvs-20071012
< 2.2.1-20071012

So as you see the only thing that can't be done without overriding
by using Epoch is doing a .0 release on the same day as a prerelease
(or prerelease CVS snapshot).

  2.1.99.beta1-20071011
< 2.1.99.beta1.cvs-20071011
< 2.1.99.beta2-20071011
< 2.1.99.beta2.cvs-20071011
< 2.1.99.rc1-20071011
< 2.1.99.rc1.cvs-20071011
< 2.2.0-20071011
< 2.2.0.cvs-20071011
< 2.2.1-20071011

Here the problem ist solved without using Epoch, but the version
strings are quite long. An additional benefit of the second
versioning scheme is that it should be compatible with other package
tools, too.

I'm 51:49 in favour of the first scheme, maybe with _betaX.cvs
instead of .beta.cvs? Or even _betaX+cvs? The separators can be
exchanged freely.

What do others think?

Regards,
Thomas

--
thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
Intevation GmbH, Osnabrueck - Register: Amtsgericht Osnabrueck, HR B 18998