[Kolab-devel] Kolab Format specs/Kontact: Question about custom folder types

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Fri Oct 5 07:31:39 CEST 2007

Thomas Arendsen Hein <thomas at intevation.de> writes:

> * Gunnar Wrobel <wrobel at pardus.de> [20071004 15:14]:
>> Locally I'm also using the gollem file manager for storing files in
>> IMAP-folders as e-mail attachments - actually quite convenient :)
>> These folders currently have the internal folder type: "kolab.h-file"
>>
>> Now I noticed that Kontact enterprise simply rewrites these unknown
>> folder types to "mail" which of course makes me unhappy :) I assume it
>> would also overwrite the folder type "kolab.h-prefs".
>>
>> Can someone clarify if it is intended to have custom folder types or
>> not and whether a client should rewrite anything it does not know to
>> "mail"?
>
> There are a number of bugs hitting each other here:
>
> | The mimetype of the messages stored on the Kolab server is
> | "application/x-vnd.kolab.<type>".
>
> Does gollem use "application/x-vnd.kolab.h-file" as the MIME type
> for all mails stored here?

No it uses any e-mail attachment. This is really only an internal hack
at the moment and fits a special use case I have.

The only thing I'm doing there is marking the folder type as
"kolab.h-file" which gollem will read as a folder where it should
display all e-mail attachments. So I just have a web-based file
manager that displays attachments in a folder for convenient download.

> | All annotation MUST be set during the initial creation of a folder
> | and cannot be altered afterwards. Clients are allowed to rely upon
> | this requirement.
>
> kmail/kontact violates this clearly if it rewrites the folders to
> "mail".

Thanks for pointing that out. I opened a corresponding bug that should
be easy to verify (https://intevation.de/roundup/kolab/issue2069).

> | For folders created with non Kolab IMAP clients, annotations must
> | be preserved.
>
> So a folder type "gollem" should survive, if gollem isn't considered
> a Kolab IMAP client, but just an IMAP client.

Okay, good.

>From the recent discussions I assumed that a Kolab client should use
the format "kolab.<special-type>" with special type being "h-*" for
horde. Is that correct? I think that could be made clearer in the
format specs.

What are other clients supposed to assume about these folders? That
they are also just mail?

> | All Kolab clients MUST assume that folders without an explicit
> | type set are email folders.
>
> Probably kmail/kontact _incorrectly_ assumes "mail" and then even
> more incorrectly synchronizes this info back to the server.

Hopefully not too hard to fix.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Thomas
>
> --
> thomas at intevation.de - http://intevation.de/~thomas/ - OpenPGP key: 0x5816791A
> Intevation GmbH, Osnabrueck - Register: Amtsgericht Osnabrueck, HR B 18998
> Geschaeftsfuehrer: Frank Koormann, Bernhard Reiter, Dr. Jan-Oliver Wagner

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg