[Kolab-devel] Horde preferences: LDAP or IMAP?

Gunnar Wrobel wrobel at pardus.de
Thu Oct 4 07:25:42 CEST 2007

"Alain Spineux" <aspineux at gmail.com> writes:

> On 10/3/07, Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de> wrote:
>> Am Mittwoch 03 Oktober 2007 schrieb Jan Schneider:
>>
>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> > How about using SQLite? You don't need to install a database daemon,
>> > and can use the SQL preference driver.
>>
>> IMHO this is a reasonable question. I guess that it would required another
>> build dependency (sqlite) which was not present before. This would definetely
>> be a disadvantate.
>>
>> On the other hand I have very good experiences with sqlite in several smaller
>> projects. I also prefer plain SQL to the berkley db syntax. Sqlite is small
>> but mature. The risks involved in using sqlite are maybe smaller compared to
>> the IMAP preferences driver.
>

> SQLite is not scalable!
> What about kolab infrastructure with multiple server ?
> With multiple Web server and the same user logged twice ?

This is a valid point. Since we are trying to be able to do such
things as splitting the web server from the main Kolab server or even
running a complete disjoint Kolab server net having a preferences
store local to the web server would be suboptimal.

But I'm going to look at using SQLite for other subsystems in Horde
that are currently still "Database only" and that are more in the
"System" rather than "User" category.

Cheers,

Gunnar

> Regards
>
> Alain
>>
>> But the point raised by Gunnar about backup and general storage strategy is
>> imho really strong.
>>
>> In the end I must admit that I currently lack a final opinion.
>>
>> Regards,
>> -- martin
>>
>> --
>> e r f r a k o n
>> Erlewein, Frank, Konold & Partner - Beratende Ingenieure und Physiker
>> Sitz: Adolfstraße 23 Stuttgart - Partnerschaftsregister Stuttgart PR 126
>> http://www.erfrakon.com/

> --
> Alain Spineux
> aspineux gmail com
> May the sources be with you

Tel.   : +49 40 432 72335                           Bundesstrasse 29
Fax    : +49 40 432 70855                            D-20146 Hamburg