[Kolab-devel] Fwd: Re: CalDav reaches the standards track]

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Fri Apr 13 20:11:35 CEST 2007

Am Freitag 13 April 2007 schrieb Stephan Buys:

Hi Stephan,

which problem tries CalDAV to solve?

> My suggestion would be to have the calendar entries stored in a
> database, and on Cyrus write an extension which would simulate
> the original manner of keeping the calendar items as xml attachments
> to mails by generating them on the fly whenever the folder is
> queried (aternatively you can generate the database contents from
> Cyrus but then you'd have duplication)

This is totally broken imho. Actually storing calendar items in a RDBMS is
doable but not really the optimal solution to the problem.

Technically CalDAV is an _access_ protocol not a data format.

> production ready yet). The only reason I'm suggesting it
> is because it seems to be the only real standard, or at least
> hope for a groupware sharing standard. Keeping in mind that
> Chandler, Outlook, Sunbird and Apple support caldav.

Can you please point me to documentation about Microsoft Outlook supporting
CalDAV?

> I think it would be wise to watch this space, that in time
> users could point whichever client they want at their Kolab
> server..

Sorry but this is not going to work for the plain and simple reasons that the
feature matrix of arbitrary clients are mutually exclusive.

> Other issues like atom level permissions, issues
> with syncing shared imap folder at the same time, etc. would
> also dissapear.

This is plain wrong. E.g. with Outlook it is impossible to implement atom
level permissions.

BTW:  What about offline capability?

Regards,
-- martin

--
e r f r a k o n
Sitz: Stuttgart - Partnerschaftsregister Stuttgart PR 126