[Kolab-devel] Failed to retrieve user's DN: [-1] Can't contact LDAP server

Andrew J. Kopciuch akopciuch at bddf.ca
Wed Mar 22 12:57:36 CET 2006

On Tuesday 21 March 2006 02:31, Rohit Rajan wrote:
> Hi All
>
>  I have configure a kolab webclient, everything went well without any
> problem and I configure the horde from the webinterface, now after doing
> all this when I again typed http://my-site-address/horde the horde login
> screen appeared and when I tried to login to with the administrator user
> name I have specified at the time of configuration login failed with the
> error "Failed to retrieve user's DN: [-1] Can't contact LDAP server"

Do you mean the Kolab "manager" account you created during bootstrap time?

In the Horde configuration steps when you setup the Horde options, on the
Authentication tab there is a field to enter the email addresses of users who
should be treated as administrators inside horde (can change the setup).

Some instructions recommend to setup (In the Kolab web admin), an account
called horde-admin at yourdomain.com.  Then you put that email address in the
field in horde.

When you want to make setup changes to horde, you have to login with
horde-admin at yourdomain.com, and the right password.

If you didn't do these steps, your authentication is now done through Kolab,
but you have no Horde administrator.  You can't log in as "Administrator"
with no password.  You can create the email account in Kolab, and then
manually edit the Horde configuration file to have that value.

Edit the file /path/to/horde/config/conf.php

Look for the option like this :

$conf['auth']['admins']

And change it to be :

$conf['auth']['admins'] = array('horde-admin at yourdomain.com');

Then you should be able to log into Horde, as that email account, and then be
able to configure the setup.

Andy