[Kolab-devel] itwales.com: How do Open Source groupware solutions measure up?

radoeka radoeka at xs4all.nl
Thu Apr 20 08:31:31 CEST 2006

From: http://www.itwales.com/997890.htm

Kolab
 How do Open Source groupware solutions measure up?Kolab has a high
profile as the preferred KDE groupware solution and has won a number of
awards. However, as with Zimbra, it comes as a monolithic bundle of
modified applications installing as RPMs (of all things) on Debian via
openpkg. We found the installation rather messy and were not impressed
with the available documentation. Kolab requires a commercial plugin for
Outlook compatiblity. The demo Konsec connector we tried did not work with
Outlook 2003, which was not surprising as documentation was only available
for Outlook 2000.
Whilst Kolab has a reasonably intuitive management web GUI it has no web
interface for the user and requires a compatible client (Kontact or
Outlook). As our Konsec connector did not work with Outlook 2003 we were
not able to evaluate the group calendaring functionality in the context
required by our client.

It's unfortenate, but this is not the best comment one can get....

--
Richard