[Kolab-devel] Squirrelmail

T. Ribbrock itsef_admin at itsef.com
Mon Apr 10 12:22:07 CEST 2006

On Fri, Apr 07, 2006 at 12:00:24PM +0200, Bernhard Reiter wrote:
[...]

> Using Squirrelmail as Webclient for Email is fine to a point, I guess,
> as are many IMAP4 webclients.
> The really interesting part is the calendar and the addressbook.
> I have not had a deep look into what squirrelmail offers,
> but I am sceptical that all the necessary features are there
> to make it a better webclient as Horde.

For e-mail, it indeed a fine client and the feedback of our users was
quite positive. However, the missing calendar is a big issue. There is a
simple plugin for a calendar, but that's standalone as far as I can see.

As for the addressbook: There is an LDAP plugin which I will definitely
try.

The other thing I don't like about Squirrelmail (though I have no idea
whether Horde -> Ingo would be doing any better) is that its sieve filter
plugin is not compatible with the Kolab sieve rules, as it cannot parse
sieve. It uses its own format - i.e. once you use avelsieve (that's the
name of the plugin), you can no longer edit the sieve filters with
anything else - or you have to start from scratch each time.

Cheerio,

Thomas