OpenPKG 2.5 was: [Kolab-devel] Freeze going for server 2.1.0beta

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Sun Nov 27 15:22:11 CET 2005

Am Dienstag, 22. November 2005 11:14 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:

> About OpenPKG 2.5: We believe this is a 4 to 5 days worth of work,
> but this is a place non-key developers can help:
> Try OpenPKG 2.5 on your platform, especially the packages that Kolab Server
> will use. Next try to integrate the patches and then build Kolab Server
> packages.

I had a look at OpenPKG 2.5 and it installed fine on my SUSE and Debian
systems.

OpenPKG 2.5 is important for Kolab 2.1 because of:

- support of gcc 4 (this will help us for all those users having recent Linux
distributions like RH AS 4, Fedora Core 4, FreeBSD 6.0 and SUSE 10. Users of
these platforms _cannot_ use OpenPKG 2.4.x!!) The number of users running
these platforms is increasing on a daily basis.

- OpenPKG 2.5 is longer supported in the future compared to OpenPKG 2.4.x.

- It needs to be determined what the switch to SMF (Service Management
Facility) will mean to Kolab.

- The state of the current integration of the Kolab changes to OpenPKG
packages is unknown to me. Thomas: Can you provide some insight here.

- The later can lead to a smaller Kolab distribution set and only requires in
some cases Kolab specific switches to the creation of binary rpms.

- The risks involved into switching to OpenPKG 2.5 now seem to me not very big
and now is imho the best time to switch as at this time we have a hight
chance to reach many testers. Especially the fact that we are opening Kolab
to users of FC4 and SUSE10 will lead to many more testets.

Regards,
-- martin

--
http://www.erfrakon.com/