[Kolab-devel] LDAP performance

Andreas Gungl a.gungl at gmx.de
Thu May 26 05:57:58 CEST 2005

Am Montag, 23. Mai 2005 15:36 schrieb Buchan Milne:
> Andreas Gungl wrote:
> > Anyway, the good news is that Kolab can handle that data quite fine. But
> > if you have Mozilla LDAP clients, you will need a strong CPU.
>
> I really don't find this to be the case myself (having use Mozilla as an
>  LDAP client for over 3 years).
>
> BTW, I don't usually browse the Address Book in Mozilla, but usually
> just start typing into the "To"-type fields in a new mail ... which
> results in Mozilla searching on the partial string. Browsing the entire
> Mozilla Address Book may result in different behaviour (so it would be
> useful if you reported exactly what you were doing).

To give some more feedback:

I've tracked the problem down to Mozilla and Kontact searching in givenName
under certain circumstances (the "slow " searches in Mozilla Adressbook and
Kontact Composer).
Well, after indexing givenName, my machine serves the queries pretty fine.

So, given that these clients are common, shouldn't Kolab index givenName be
default?
It interesting only when having many data in LDAP, and you may expect the
admin to be able to figure it out hisself. OTOH we already have some indexing
predefined, so another field wouldn't matter that much, would it?

Regards (and once again thanks for all the help and information I've gotten),
Andreas