[Kolab-devel] LDAP performance

Andreas Gungl a.gungl at gmx.de
Mon May 23 15:56:08 CEST 2005

Buchan Milne wrote:
> Andreas Gungl wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > after having managed the import of about 18.000 addresses into our
Kolab
> 2
> > (test) server, I would like to provide some feedback and ask some
> > questions.
> >
> > The many contacts have been added as addresses (not users). Importing
> via
> > ldapadd was very slow. It took me more than 5 hours on our PIII-500
test
> > machine with 256 MB RAM plus slow HDD. But hey, import needs to be
done
> > only once. :-)
>
> You should have done your tuning first, you box should be able to do
> this substantially faster IMHO.

Well, I can simply run the import again after having deleted the data. :-)

[...]
> > Following the thread about tweaking the LDAP and DB backend
> configuration,
> > I've set (on Kolab 2 RC 1) in
> /kolab/var/openldap/openldap-data/DB_CONFIG
> >   set_cachesize 0 65000000 1
> >   set_lg_bsize  2097152
>
> Note that you need to run db_recover for these changes to take effect,
> for example:
>
> # su -c 'db_recover -h /kolab/var/openldap/openldap-data' -s /bin/bash -
> ldap

Ah, I didn't know that. I'll give it a try.

[...]
> > Anyway, the good news is that Kolab can handle that data quite fine.
But
> > if you have Mozilla LDAP clients, you will need a strong CPU.
>
> I really don't find this to be the case myself (having use Mozilla as an
>  LDAP client for over 3 years).
>
> BTW, I don't usually browse the Address Book in Mozilla, but usually
> just start typing into the "To"-type fields in a new mail ... which
> results in Mozilla searching on the partial string. Browsing the entire
> Mozilla Address Book may result in different behaviour (so it would be
> useful if you reported exactly what you were doing).

Well, that is really funny. Mozilla is so slow when searching in the
addressbook but turned out to be very fast when typing into the "To"
field. So you were right.
In Kontact there it's the opposite way. It's fast in the addressbook and
it's significantly slower when typing into the "To" field.

Really interesting. It looks as if someone had switched the queries. ;-)

Andreas