[Kolab-devel] [issue839] problem when kolabHomeServer is missing

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Mon Jul 11 11:21:34 CEST 2005

Am Montag, 11. Juli 2005 09:02 schrieb Dieter Kluenter:

Hi Dieter,

> >> 1. upgrade kolabHomeServer from MAY to MUST for kolabInetOrgPerson
> >
> > Dieter: Can you comment on this? Will this break any update?
>
> Any changes to an existing schema will of course have influence on
> exiting installations and will probabely require a slapcat and rewrite
> of the ldif file.

I verified that simply adding new attributes to an objectclass definition does
not required a slapcat and a rewrite of the the ldif file with a following
slapadd.

> But this is not the only implication, if you have
> registered kolab.schema with Harald Alvestrand's OID registry, you
> should inform the community about this changes.
> http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/

No, we currently have not registered our attributes or objectclasses there
though we use an official Kolab OID.

> for a fully functional kolab server, and the nonexistence of this
> attribute or attribute value will lead to malfunctions, there is no
> other option than changing the schema.

Well, we can also fix our implementation to not require the kolabHomeServer
attribute.

> If you go for a rewrite of kolab.schema I would recommend to rename
> the schema file in order to make changes distinct.
> Furthermore I would like to add a few more changes, in particular to
> syntax of some attributes, but this is an other topic.

Please provide a diff -Naur to our current CVS version and post it here for
review.

Regards,
-- martin

--
   Groupware Challenge 13. Juli 2005
   Drei Konzepte - Drei Systeme - Eine Veranstaltung