[Kolab-devel] [issue839] problem when kolabHomeServer is missing

Dieter Kluenter dieter at dkluenter.de
Mon Jul 11 09:02:31 CEST 2005

Hi,
Martin Konold <martin.konold at erfrakon.de> writes:

> Am Freitag, 8. Juli 2005 10:00 schrieb Henning Holtschneider:
>
> Hi,
>
>> There are two possible solutions to this problem:
>>
>> 1. upgrade kolabHomeServer from MAY to MUST for kolabInetOrgPerson
>
> Dieter: Can you comment on this? Will this break any update?

Any changes to an existing schema will of course have influence on
exiting installations and will probabely require a slapcat and rewrite
of the ldif file. But this is not the only implication, if you have
registered kolab.schema with Harald Alvestrand's OID registry, you
should inform the community about this changes.
http://www.alvestrand.no/objectid/
On the other hand, if the attribute kolabHomeServer is now required
for a fully functional kolab server, and the nonexistence of this
attribute or attribute value will lead to malfunctions, there is no
other option than changing the schema. In general, an alteration to
a schema will not break any rules, as long as the community is
informed,samba.schema is a good example here.
If you go for a rewrite of kolab.schema I would recommend to rename
the schema file in order to make changes distinct.
Furthermore I would like to add a few more changes, in particular to
syntax of some attributes, but this is an other topic.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Klünter | Systemberatung
http://www.dkluenter.de