[Kolab-devel] Would it be possible to use: LAM - LDAP Account Manager

Richard Bos radoeka at xs4all.nl
Sun Jan 30 23:50:26 CET 2005

Op zondag 30 januari 2005 19:08, schreef Martin Konold:
> > As stated in the comments of the very nice article about kolab on
> > http://dot.kde.org/1106909457/, would it possible to use LAM - LDAP
> > Account Manager from http://lam.sourceforge.net/ ??
>
> Yes, it is possible to use LAM together with Kolab provided you do some
> little porting work.

That is what I assumed.

> Looking at the screenshots http://lam.sourceforge.net/screenshots/index.htm
> I must say that they look pretty.
>
> Actually for Kolab 3 I have some vision towards a more general directory
> service within Kolab to control stuff like Samba and Webaccess/Squid.

Perhaps, it is a good time now to explore if it is possible to have both
project support each other?

> > It's nice looking, it seems to have some nifty features (which assume
> > work ;).
>
> Which features are you considering to be most interesting?

I have not used it, and the ones I remember by heart from the screenshots are
the filtering stuff and the output in pdf.

> > It seem to overlap a little bit with kolab.  If it would be possible, 2
> > LAM feature request could be closed right away and I think kolab would
> > have some additional attention:
>
> Kolab aims for a secure and scalable solution. The current focus in the LAM
> development seems to me (a first (!) impression) to be towards usability
> and functionality.

Indeed creating home directories is more something for a local system, than a
remote system (scalability).  But in the end both systems need to have access
to common data such as the user name, uid, etc.

--
Richard Bos
Without a home the journey is endless